- Legal Help
- The Court System in Tennessee
- Understand Important Legal Terms
- How to Find a Lawyer
- Representing Yourself in Court
- Court Forms You May Need
- Find Resources in Your County
- Find Information on Many Topics
- Alternatives to Court
- Email an Attorney
- Legal Clinics in Tennessee
Glossary of Legal Terms
To find a defendant not guilty in a criminal trial.
A judgment or decree.
A written or printed declaration or statement under oath.
The ruling of an appellate court that the judgment of a lower court is correct and should stand.
Review of a case by a higher court.
Party appealing a decision or judgment to a higher court.
The party against whom an appeal is filed.
The hearing and settlement of a dispute between opposing parties by a third party whose decision the parties have agreed to accept.
A court hearing in a criminal case where a defendant is advised of the charges and