Tennessee Department of Human Services

In Tennessee, the Department of Human Services (DHS) runs these programs:

DHS Services
Click on a link below to learn more about these DHS services for you and your family:

Adult Day Care
has care for adults who need some daytime supervision.

Adult Protective Services (APS)
helps protect adults who have a physical or mental problem or cannot take care of themselves. APS looks into reports of abuse, neglect, self-neglect, and financial exploitation.

Child Care Services
can help you:

  • Find information on child care providers
  • Pick a child care provider
  • Complain about a provider

Community Services Block Grant
can help you make your community better. You must have a low income to qualify for services, which include:

  • “Safety net” emergency services
  • Job Development
  • Adult education
  • Self-sufficiency program

Families First (TANF)
can give you cash if you have children and financial problems.

Family Assistance Service Center can help you change your Families First, Food Stamps, Medicaid and TennCare case.
Call toll-free: (866) 311-4287
(866) 743-2000 (in Nashville)

Food Stamp Program
can helps you buy food if you:

  • Have children
  • Are elderly
  • Have a disability
  • Do not have a job
  • Are a working family with low income

Home Energy Assistance
, also called LIHEAP, can help you pay for your heater and air conditioner. You must have a low income. If your household income is less than 150% of the federal poverty level, you qualify for LIHEAP.

Home Maker Program can give you some personal care services to help you keep living in your own home. You qualify if:

  • You are a low-income elderly or disabled adult, and
  • You meet federal poverty guidelines, or
  • You are referred by the DHS Adult Protective Service program because you were abused or neglected.

is Tennessee's Medicaid program. TennCare provides health care for 1.2 million Tennesseans. The Bureau of TennCare at the Department of Finance and Administration runs TennCare.

Many people in different situations qualify for TennCare. Click here to see the eligibility categories.
Click here to apply for TennCare. DHS will decide if you are eligible.
Click here to find a DHS office near you.

Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP)
can help you pay to weatherize your home. You must be:

  • low income,
  • elderly, or
  • disabled.